Thursday 7 March 2013

Thursday Inspirations: Tim Walker






I thought I would start a regular feature where I talk about people that inspire me, so I'm kicking this off with one of my biggest inspirations Tim Walker.

I first discovered Tim's work back in 2007 when I was studying for my A levels, I was doing a project based on fairytales and after scouring the internet for what seemed like eternity for suitable artists to research I stumbled upon his work and a whole avenue of ideas instantly hit me. It opened up a whole new way of thinking about how I could photograph people, how I could incorporate my love of crafts and story telling within the medium of photography. 

I love painting and writing, but I'm not very good at either of them, however I'd like to think (and hope) photography is where my talent lies. Every report I would get at school parents evenings since I was a small child all said there same thing "Chloe has potential but she's away with the fairies a lot" which I think is quite ironic now that a lot of my practice is centred around trying to create ideal magical worlds that only exist in a persons mind. 

Since then I have studied Tims work and he always features in everyone of my research books, I'm pretty sure my tutors must get fed up of my love (read as obsession) for him. I have the Pictures book and it's one of my prized possessions, whenever I'm feeling uninspired or down I'll grab myself a cup of tea and sit for hours studying the photos and letting my mind wander into a little fantasy land and inspiration seems to hit me from many directions!

I could probably go on for a while talking about my love for him but I'll  leave it at that for now, if you've managed to read through all of this then well done! I promise to buy you a cookie if we meet!

Who inspires you? What do you think of Tims work? 

Stay sweet,
Chloe x

3 comments:

  1. Chloe, I adore this post. You have such a way with words :) And I completely understand why you are inspired by him, these are glorious pieces. Your talents most definitely do lie in photography and I for one can't wait to follow you on your journey to the top! Looking forward to finding out who will inspire you next! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like you've just dived inside my head! I LOVE Tim Walker! I also studied him for my A Level art project under the title of "Storytelling Through Photography" and went to his Storyteller exhibition at Somerset house (and wrote a blog post in it) - it was like walking through a real life fairytale, and I've bought both his books, they're a bit bigger than I'd imagined but one of my best sources of inspiration! I can definitely see how he's influenced you, your photos really capture that whimsical magic.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I have been waiting to do this too! Talk about inspirations outside of the wedding industry - after all we learn about soo many amazing inspirational artist at uni. Its time to get sharing! I freaking LOVE Tim walker. Your write up is brilliant. Even when I feel completely deflated his work can inspire from his magical images. He brings fairy tales to life..sometimes in a sinister way!
    I cant wait to see what amazing projects you have in the pipeline - inspired by the man himself! xxx

    ReplyDelete